Thursday, October 11, 2012

American History Class…


So I made it out to Emma Willard after a full travel day (planes/car) from Spokane yesterday (Oct 10, 2012).

Came to be part of Shaelyn's Parents Weekend activities. After that we hit the road up to Boston. Since Shaelyn is still in class, I thought I would do some of my own background work - hey I was a history major in college.

In trying to draw a thread from the Emma Willard School/Emma Willard to the events up in Boston in 1776, I thought I would start by emailing Shaelyn's history teacher, Ms Trudy Hanmer, who also happens to be writing a book about Emma Willard, the schools founder ... almost 200 years ago (Shaelyn's graduating class 2014).

Ms Hanmer noted via email (very prompt response I might add...)

I’m afraid there aren’t many direct connections between Emma Willard (woman or school) and the Revolution. She revered the Revolutionary generation, and her father fought on the colonial side (as did her husband, Dr. John Willard, who was imprisoned by the British during the war and had a lifelong hatred for all things British). The Harts left the Boston area in the 17th century, travelling with Thomas Hooker to Connecticut as part of the Congregational dissent from the Puritans. 

 Emma’s plan for women’s education was rooted in her belief in “republican motherhood,” the idea that the revolutionary ideals could only be safeguarded by an educated female population.

Well ... maybe the best connection that I can make from this is that like Emma Willard, I also hold the "Revolutionary generation" in very high regard. Studying American history is like reading a story about  getting involved/making a difference and how that is a key part of citizenship. Oops .. sorry for slipping into "election year mind set".

FYI Ms Hanmer also added:

I look forward to seeing you on the weekend. As of today, Shaelyn has not signed you up for a parent conference, however. Perhaps you are leaving for Boston on Saturday and skipping the conferences?

Hmmmmmmmmmm ..............

No comments:

Post a Comment