Saturday, October 13, 2012

And Away We Go!



So teacher conferences are over and between my jet lag, teaching an online course late Thursday evening (met Emma security guards - they were checking out why lights were on ... someone talking to themselves ...), and quite a bit of Emma stimulation/interesting conversation my head is reeling. I mentioned this to Shaelyn as we exited the campus (seen in several movies) and she simply said "now you know how I feel after a week of classes here ..... "

Took me about two minutes on the road before I asked Shaelyn to fire up my iPhone and load our hotel destination (heavily researched in Google Earth/Streetview/Google+ Local Search) into the Google Maps App (sorry Apple haven't upgaded) on my phone. 2 hrs. 55 minutes/157 miles ... complete with interactive map and follow the bouncing ball GPS.


When I walked up to Shaelyn's room to help bring down her bag, I climbed the stairs past a set of stain glass windows in what the school calls the "Hall of Flags" - home country flag of every current student is represented - 32 countries (27 states) - noticed 4 emblems with inscriptions - Art, Literature, Science, and ... Geography!!

In her day (early 1800's) Emma Willard gained fame as one of the first noted female geographers. I reflect about the tools at her disposal, while my navigator, a member of the 200th class of the school that Emma founded, uses mobile technology to track our progress (while she texts her friends). While times have changed, the excitement of traveling has not.

Posting this from our hotel in Concord (GMaps was right on the money - both time and distance.. Dinner at "Helens" the landmark local family restaurant - "G+ed" it.

Boston in the AM.

No comments:

Post a Comment