Sunday, October 7, 2012

What this is about ...

Shaelyn (Shay) has called me (her dad) the "Google Geek" for several years now to describe me to people she knows. If you want to learn more about that you can go to my free Google Site  or my public Google+ Profile. In addition to being a Google Geek, I am a life long student of American.

I read biographies of famous Americans as a child. Was a history major in college (Princeton, class of 1976 .. our bicentennial year). Have always been a "road warrior" that stopped at roadside history markers, national parks,  and historic places

In recent years, with the advent of the web and my acquiring the persona of a Google geek, I have used various Google offerings to help raise public awareness of American history/historic preservation. I was contacted a couple years back by educator Carol Larow (a fellow Google Geek) who asked me to do 3D models for several buildings on Paul Reveres's Midnight Ride - for a piece on the Longfellow poem at her website Google Historical Events and Voyages. Shaelyn and I did a Youtube video on the Longfellow poem - 36,000 views so far.

I also did a kml piece on the events in Boston/Freedom Trail 1776. When I did the piece, I built a Google Site (mobile template) to help serve images/files to the kml). I wanted to eventually use the site to experiment with content/various web technologies and mediums ..... that is what i will be doing with Shaelyn this trip. Blog, pics, video - whatever else we can come up with to give you a sense of the events surrounding Paul Revere's ride through the eyes of a life long American history buff ... and the perspective of a 16 year old in a high school American history class.

Either way it will prove to her mom, who is home at the Funny Farm (that's right, that is where this branch of the Hall family lives) working, taking care of the animals, and doing fall chores, what we did on our trip to Boston.

1 comment:

  1. Ron-- it will be fun to see the two perspectives on this journey (father and daughter). Great project.

    ReplyDelete